14 February 2011

A Bad Case of The Fucks

The Boy has a new stim. Well, I say it's a stim, but it's more a new behaviour.  Or rather a revisited behaviour that has come back stronger this time. Parents of autistic kids will know how *that* rolls.

Thanks to the intrepid help of a group of lads he played with at school and encouraged him to swear, he has a bad case of the Fucks. Everything is "fucking stupid".  Dinner is met with the enquiry of "What is this fucking shit, Mummy?" When I annoy him, he requests that I go "fuck my face." Or, in the midst of a crowded cafe, an expression of distaste in his meal will result in his proclaiming (loudly) "fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck!"  Gizmo is "a fucking excellent cat."  He is absolutely correct, for indeed she is a fucking excellent cat, but there are better ways to express this.

To some degree, I am heartened that he is using the word (for the most part) contextually, but I am unsure otherwise how to deal with it. It's not the worst thing in the world, but it somehow seems as invasive and deliberate as his spitting stim. When your 6 year old unleashes a torrent of swearing at you that lasts for an hour, it is hard to know how to respond to it.

It is not like the baby who builds a tower, and upon its collapse mutters "shit" to the hilarity of its parents.  This is a six year old boy who has been taught swearing with malice, by a group of his peers, for their entertainment.  The Boy has been "banned" from playing with these children.  They continue to play together and he faces long drawn out lunchtimes, where he is effectively alone.

I have been in to the school several times about it, continue to go in and raise issues, but to a degree I am helpless.  I've approached the parent of one of the children who was bullying him about trying to work out playdates for them to work through things rather than leaving them to fester as his teacher appears to have.

The very worst thing about it of course is that the children who were swearing have now moved on.  They have their (same) group of friends, and he is merely floating.

It will be a slow process, as ever, and an annoying one. The fact remains though, when you think about it, it''s just not fucking fair, is it?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've read most of your blog over the past couple of days. So far you've been the only blog that I read and go "fuck aye." There's so many similarities. (I sound like a fucking weirdo...)
Seriously though as a parent of an autistic son & a teenage daughter my day to day life is hard. My mother is also shite.
Just felt I had to leave something.
Please keep on updating.