17 May 2011

Fat

A phonecall from the school.  The Boy was in the head teacher's office, having punched one of his colleagues in the face. Can I come in to discuss what has happened?

Of course, says I, hoping this isn't the start of another reaction to a change at school that I have, yet again, not been advised of and will thus spend several weeks of being used as his human punch bag until I can get to the bottom of what the issue is.

To school I toddle, and am shown straight through to the head teacher. The Boy is sat outside, swinging his legs and with his head bowed, picking at an invisible to my eye speck on his trousers. He won't look at me, he won't look up at me. He does not respond when I say his name. He is clearly struggling to contain himself.

It transpires that he has punched some of his fellow inmates during a lunch time scuffle, and continued to shout at said compadres and attempting to kick at then as he was pulled off.  I ask if it has been establised what led to this incident; I am told "nothing". I am told that he "jumped on and started to attack and pummel" these children with no possible provocation.

I take several deep breaths and launch, once again, in a detailed speech about how autism doesn't work like that; how everything is a result of stimuli, how sometimes his reactions are delayed to earlier wrongs, and how morality has no place in examining what has occured.  I ask if they have a STAR form filled in for him in relation to the incident, already knowing the answer is no.

I think, surely at this point, they've heard this from me so many times, in so many variations, that they muct be expecting it. You'd think that they would at least investigate what I say to them; what I "claim" to the case, merely to save me saying this to them every time I am called in for one of his minor disability related misdemeanors.  Sometimes, the constant explanations that I need to give, what seems like total logic to me, appears to pass them by completely and I start to hear my voice wander off elsewhere, trying to find where the teacher's comprehension facilities are and why their brains can't process such easy, evident information.

I ask that The Boy be called in. He shuffles in, eyes down. He is picking at a nail, the side of his thumb is gently bleeding from the pressure he is applying to ease his stress.  He looks at me; a mixture of defiance, annoyance and a face that just screams out "this isn't fair."

It is a face I know well on The Boy, and one that does not need to be questioned. Ever.  He has acted in a way he believes tobe absolutely right, and now we will need to find out what the reasons were that he did.

He sits down. The head teacher starts to speak. The Boy looks directly at me. He speaks quietly, and over the head's voice.

"They called Lid fat Mum, and they made her cry. They wouldn't stop. I told them to leave her alone, and I asked the grown ups, but they didn't. And Lid was crying and she was really sad. So I stopped them."

The head teacher starts to say that, even if this is the case, it is not right of him to react like this, and tells The Boy that I agree with her. She waits for me to confirm that she is right on this supposition.

I ignore her. I hug him and thank him for being a good big brother.  I tell him that I wish that I had a brother like him, and I really, genuinely do. My heart swells with pride. I want to rush up to these bullies and shout "ha!" in their faces. I want to put The Boy up on my shoulders, carry him through town shouting "this is my son! I made him in my tummy you know!"  But most of all, I want to see my daughter and make sure she is ok.

As it is nearing the end of the school day, she is brought to me, still slightly sniffy, still very upset. She starts to cry when she tells me that these stupid, ignorant idiots have called her fat. I know that she is delicate in a way that people miss, and I know this because she is me.

We cuddle and chat. I tell her that of course she isn't fat. She is strong and tall and extremely cool. I tell her that she is the most beautiful girl in the world.  "And the prettiest" pipes up her brother. I tell her that she is more than just beautiful, she is kind and gentle and funny and clever; that these are the things that are important; these are the qualities that the bullies in the playground do not possess; the same ones that she and her brother have in gargantuan quantities. 

The head attempts to intervene about a suitable "punishment" for The Boy. I ask how will the children be punished for their verbal abuse of my daughter? I am told it will be "investigated". I already know that this means nothing will be done.

Her voice persists, saying that The Boy will have to miss break times for a week, and may need to be internally excluded.

I sigh heavily. At times like these I struggle to keep my tendency to swear when those around me are being idiotic under control, although my control assisted inordinately by having children in the room. I look at her. I tell her, very slowly, in my best cross voice, that maybe she should be examining how the lunchtime assistants are supervising their charges. A little less time for them to gossip, a little more time for them to attend to the chidlren around them.

I tell her that I can't help but be proud of The Boy, because although hitting isn't right, defending someone younger and smaller than you always is, especially when it's your sister.  I tell her that I won't condemn him for being the sort of brother that all girls, but especially Lid, deserve, and that I can only heap praise and thanks on him for stepping in where I could not and her staff would not.

We leave at this point. Nothing will be achieved by continuing the conversation. I hold on to The Boy and Lid's hands, and we skip outside in to the sunshine.

"You'd think Head Teacher would understand more" says The Boy "because she really is fat."

"Yes" says Lid "and she has goopy droopy boobies."

*Sigh* I can see a lecture about not calling people namesa coming on...

6 comments:

Caryanne Priddle said...

Lid IS the prettiest girl in school and The Boy IS the best big brother. The lunchtime monintors only work lunchtime so they can put down their mugs of tea and do some sodding work (at least use their eyes and ears ).

Cressida said...

I wish I'd had a brother like The Boy when I was in school. You must be the proudest mother in the world; I know I would be. What amazing, beautiful little stars you are raising there, lass. :)

PS: I also got a teary throaty lump reading this. And an angry face at the stupid, idiotic head. GRRR.

xxx

cerreeh said...

Go the boy!
The headteacher sounds like such a turd.
Lid is lucky to have such a good bro. x

Anonymous said...

I have tears in my eyes reading this, I was bullied as a child too and one of the things they picked on was my weight. I wish that I had an older brother at the school like the boy who would have stood up for me.

Its wrong for children to have to cover for the failings of adults, they should have seen the bullying of lovely Lily and put a stop to it, they should have made examples of the perpetrators, not the boy who only did what he thought best seeing a situation he couldnt tolerate. The school found it far easier to put the blame on the boy than to accept their own failings, I for one would be honoured and proud to have the boy as a brother or a son.

Anonymous said...

Problems come when the 'stimuli' is another child achieving something. When the other child is as tolerant as possible but keeps being on the receiving end of violent assaultsand vile abuse. And autistic child CAN learn. Sometimes they are naughty.
You have to try to build on their self esteem rather than teaching them the only way to feel better about themselves is to abuse and assault others. And also teach them to take care of other peoples belongings rather than lose, break and just not return stuff like DVDs.
It's horrid being the younger brother of an autistic boy, being hit and called names every day by an autistic boy in your class at school. Every goddam day. Being told by your mother to be tolerant. To forgive. Just because she has an autistic child and believes this autistic childs mother is doing her best to get him to stpp hitting you, when in reality she rewards him and justifies his actions. When she goes on fb bleating on that he has no friends when he actually HAD two of the best friends he could ever have. When she shows absolutely NO tolerance for ant other children and the problems they may have.

Anonymous said...

Bullshit.