27 April 2011

Sausages

I really, really like sausages. In fact, they are my favourite tea (especially with mash and gravy). However, I can never get the sausages right.
Everything seems to be going ok, and then I get distracted. The sausages burn.

Every time I go to cook sausages, I always think "I'll get it right this time!" I never do.  I always burn the sausages.

And once, just once, it would be nice if I didn't burn them.

Sometimes, I think that I expect too much from the sausages. That I expect that they will be ruined the moment that they go in the oven, so what is the point in even trying to cook them.  I go in with the expectation that I will burn them.

I want to trust the sausages. I want to believe that they won't burn, and sometimes I feel like the sausages need me to believe that it is possible that they won't burn.

I want to trust the sausages. I want to believe that it is possible for the sausages not to burn, because I don't bloody want them to burn. I want them to be ok.

And I know, I know; I need to trust the sausages sometime, or I'll always be turning them and they'll never be cooked evenly. Sometimes, in my need to make the sausages right, I give them too much attention and they don't cook properly. When I look away, because I think they are doing ok, they burn.
Perhaps the perfect cooked sausage does not exist, but maybe, with enough onion gravy and proper mash you can make a really decent dinner with slightly burnt sausages. I suppose that, when the sausages get a bit burnt, I just think it's not worth bothering anymore and that it should all go in the bin as the whole thing is ruined.

I suppose I need to remember that a slightly burnt sausage can be rescued, but also that I need not to throw the sausages away for fear that they may burn.

As with sausages, with men...

No comments: